Monday, June 16, 2014

Father's Day: Sweet & Sour Sausage, Peppers & Polenta

This turned out to be a great surprise...and it made more servings then what I thought it would.

I found this recipe on my Food Network App, and those Food Network gurus...well, they got it from Johnsonville. 
Turns out those guys know how to grill their own product!

Grilled Italian Sausage with Sweet 'n Sour Peppers:

Ingredients:

2 packages (19 ounces, each) Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage Links
3 tablespoons slivered almonds
1/4 cup raisins
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 medium green bell peppers, cut in quarters and seeded (I used 1 green and substituted an orange one for the second green one...I just like the color.)
2 medium sweet red bell peppers, cut in quarters and seeded (I used one red and one yellow...color again!)
1 medium red onion, cut into 6 wedges
1 tablespoon olive oil
1-2 Tbsp of Italian dressing
1 roll (18 ounces) prepared polenta, sliced into 1/2 -rounds

I do not make my own polenta. I find the pre-made polenta in the the produce section of Publix, near the tofu and organic produce.

I used Bertolli Extra Light olive oil and the Publix brand apple cider vinegar. 

Directions:

  1. Toast almonds in a small skillet over medium heat- 1 to 2 minutes.
  2. Stir in raisins. Remove from heat. Let stand.
  3. Add vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
  4. Return to medium- low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and set aside.
  5. Pre-heat grill to medium-low.
  6. In a bowl, combine peppers and onion. Drizzle with oil. Toss to coat.
  7. Place sausages and veggies on grill, use tongs to rotate/ stir often. Grill approx. 15-20 minutes or until sausages are cooked through and veggies are tender. ( I left my veggies on a little longer. I use a veggie basket for the grill.)
  8. While sausages and veggies are grilling, brush polenta slices with Italian dressing. Place on grill for 2 minutes- each side.
  9. Place sausages and veggies in a large bowl. Pour in almond mixture. Toss to coat.
  10. Arrange sausages, veggies and polenta on a large platter.

I used a large platter to arrange sausages, veggies and polenta. I also lightly grilled a sliced baguette.

This is a great summer meal! It is so easy and it feeds up to 8 people.

Enjoy!

La Bonne Vie Y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment