Monday, February 9, 2015

Mason's Favorite Charity- The Wally's Friends Fundraiser

As you know, after my friend, Mason, passed away in May, I began this blog as a way to process through her loss. 
Mason and I enjoyed eating, so you can rest assured this post will include a meal!

Mason and I also loved animals! Mason volunteered at Wally's Friends (http://www.wallysfriends.com/ ) a low cost (sometimes no cost) spay and neuter clinic. 

Their Mission: 
The mission of Wally's Friends™ is to dramatically impact the numbers of unwanted animals destroyed in shelters and starving on the streets by:

  • Providing high quality, high volume, low cost, spay and neuter surgeries for cats and dogs, with an emphasis on serving rural and lower wealth areas of Chattanooga.
  • Connecting people and animals through education on dog and cat overpopulation and responsible guardianship to elevate the quality of life within the community.
  • Providing transport of animals to the clinic for low wealth and disabled guardians, and free spay/neuter when guardians lack the funds for spay/neuter


So her family and friends decided to get behind what she believed in and loved!
Two tables were reserved in her name at the Wally's Friend's annual Fundraising Banquet!!!

I love the table decorations here! Dog biscuits, gift bags for dogs and cats, and Mason's favorite treat- M&M's!!!


The name of the fundraiser was Spay-ghetti No Meatballs...Haha!
But as you can see here...we had one meatball!


Mason's sister took "Mason jars" and filled them with dog biscuits. These held the "Mason's Menagerie" signs to mark her tables, What a cute idea!


Jazz band during dinner. I LOVE Jazz!!!

Milo, a pug-mix, was a destructive little dog, until this trainer discovered how to channel all that energy!  Milo was adopted by his trainer. This little fellow can dance on cue, by following a few hand motions!


Milo is also an agility dog. I was able to help with the props and be a part of his act!!!


This pup dressed like Minnie Mouse is a rescue who now works as a therapy dog at nursing homes around the Chattanooga Area!

They had a silent auction, and the Hubs and I came home with a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon with a Springy-Cat Wine Topper!



This was an emotional night for many of us.
I felt both sad that Mason was not there, and also happy and proud that through her life so many have joined this cause for the love of her and the animals!

I feel that it is important to help and serve each other. I think it is incredibly important to help those who can't help themselves.
I have been blessed to see the work of Efren and Gema Ormaza and their work with orphans and widows through medical missions in Ecuador. I have been moved by the work of Hospice workers and the grace and dignity with which they served my grandmother, Nanny, at her passing. I'm honored to work with the staff and volunteers at On Point who meet Middle and High School students where they are, without judgement...with grace, knowledge and skills- encouraging them to thrive!
And I am humbled by the service of organizations like Wally's Friends and the Pet Placement Center (a no-kill shelter for dogs and cats).

Thank you all for giving of yourselves!


Mason, I miss you so much!
Thank you for introducing me to such a wonderful organization that is doing such important work!

La Bonne Vie Y'all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment