Friday, February 27, 2015

Fluffy Mickey Waffles with Fresh Strawberry Syrup!

These waffles are so light and fluffy, and the strawberry sauce was delicious!

I think brunch is mu favorite meal. It feels celebratory...plus Smiling Mickey Waffles...I'm not sure it gets better than that!


The Mickey Waffles from Disney World are my favorites. They are thick- more like Belgium waffles. This iron is not from Disney World. These turn out a bit more like pancakes than waffles; but they still have smiling Mickey faces...and that makes me happy!
Ingredients:
2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 4 large eggs, separated, 2 Tbsp sugar, 2 cups whole milk, 4 Tbsp melted butter, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in another bowl. Then add milk, butter and vanilla to egg yolks- whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture to the egg-milk mixture. Whisk till blended- do not over mix.

In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.

Using a rubber spatula, gently fold whites into the egg-milk mixture.


Pre-heat waffle iron and then spray the with cooking spray if necessary.
Fill reservoir half way and close lid. It takes about 2 minutes to cook.
Now for the strawberry sauce....
Ingredients:
1 lb fresh strawberries (hulled and diced), 1 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp fresh orange juice, 1/2 tsp finely grated orange zest.




Combine all the ingredients and bring them to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until strawberries are soft and the syrup is thickened and reduced by 1/3 in volume, 15 to 18 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool before serving. 


I found this Emeril Lagasse recipe on my Food Network App.
The waffles were so light and delicious. 
I liked the syrup (the Hubs loved it), but it was a bit sweet for me. I tend to like fresh fruits and sweet cheeses with my morning pastries.
But if you have a sweet tooth- this syrup will be perfect!


Happy Brunching!

La Bonne Vie Y'all!

PS- La Bonne Vie is getting a new look. I don't know if you noticed, but you are now seeing us at labonneviecookingdiary.com !

Stay tuned to see improvements to the site!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment