Monday, February 23, 2015

Oscar Night Eats & Treats!

Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams!

The menu:
Seared Scallops, Roasted Asparagus, Caviar Tarts & Golden-White Chocolate Strawberries.
Mason and I loved the movies! 
My love for old movies came from my grandfather. At the age of 8, my favorite movie was Gone With the Wind.
Mason and I often went to the movies. She always had to have her diet coke and small popcorn.
One year, she hosted a small Oscars gathering at her home...she made sure that there was popcorn!

In honor of Mason (and my grandfather) I came up with a special Oscars menu.

While I finished preparing our Oscar treats, the Hubs and I snacked on Cajun crab dip.
I found this one at the seafood counter of Publix.



Alton Brown taught me how to sear scallops.

Heat 2 tsp (each) of butter and olive oil over high heat. Make sure that your scallops are very dry and season them with salt and pepper. 
When the butter first begins to release steam place he scallops in the pan. Cook for 1 1/2 minutes on each side. 

Perfectly seared scallops!

In the meantime, Ina Garten taught me to roast asparagus. I might never eat asparagus any other way again!


Cover asparagus in olive oil and lay it evenly, and in one layer, on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Roast for 20 to 25 minutes (depending on the size of your spears) on 400 degrees.
Now for the Caviar Tarts!

Ingredients: Mini fillo shells, boursin- shallot and chives, Black Lumpfish Caviar 
We did not purchase expensive caviar; simple, black lumpfish is inexpensive and still gave us a fancy feel for the occasion.

I softened the boursin and pipped it into the shells. I then topped the cheese with the caviar.
It is a salty, savory treat!

Golden- White Chocolate Dipped Strawberries


White chocolate bakers bark and gold gem candy make these golden goodies!


These are so festive...and so easy to make!
I dipped the strawberries and sprinkled the golden gems on some and drizzled regular chocolate on others. YUM!

Mason loved theming- she would have loved these movie themed plates I found at Party City!


Remy- in his top hat!



It was fun and fancy evening! 

We're sending you Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams!

La Bonne Vie Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment