Friday, February 20, 2015

Easy Slow Cooker Meal: Beef, Barley & Mushrooms

When the weather gets cold I look forward to hearty slow cooker meals. 
I like being able to come home to that wonderful smell and know that dinner is ready!

This one is from Sandra Lee's January issue: Swiss Steak with Wild Mushrooms.  


Ingredients: 8 oz sliced mushrooms, 1 cup chopped onions, 1/2 cup pearl barley, 2 packages (.5 oz each) dried mushroom medley, 2 1/2 lbs beef round steak- cut into serving portions, 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, 1 can (10.75 oz) cream of mushroom soup, 1 envelope (1 oz) onion soup mix.

I found this pack of dried mushroom medley in the refrigerated produce section. I used this whole package...we love mushrooms!

Add all of the mushrooms together with the onions.
The recipe calls for the pearl barley to be mixed in at this step. I did not find pearl barley at my usual store. I ended up buying quick cook barley. I cooked it according to the directions and then added it to the slow cooker mixture just before serving.

I used pre-cut round steak...saves time!
Place meat on top of the the veggie mixture. Mix the broth, cream of mushroom, onion soup mix and pour over the meat. 

Quick cook barley
I prefer the pearl barley, but this is what I had, so I used it.

Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.

We topped ours with a bit of cheese and some fresh cracked pepper!
This ended up being a bit more like a stew, but if I had used the pearl barley the consistency might have been a bit thicker.

The smell is wonderful; and it is so flavorful and delicious! I especially loved that it was ready when I got home.

La Bonne Vie Y'all!

Ok- the Oscars are on Sunday and I have got a great menu planned for Oscar Night!
My theme is "Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams!"
Be sure to tune in to see what's cooking at La Bonne Vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment