Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Coconut-Almond French Toast Casserole!

You don't even need syrup...seriously! I added a little drizzle for the picture, but it just doesn't need it. It is so delicious...maybe my favorite French Toast Bake yet!!!

I found this recipe on the Food Network App and thought I would give it a try...Definitely give this one a try!!!! YUM!


You can use Texas Toast, but I like Challah. 
Toast bread on both sides in a 350 degree oven (6 minutes a side). Then set aside to cool.
Whisk 6 larges eggs, 3 1/2 cups of half-and-half, 5 Tbsp sugar, 1 tsp pure vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. 
Dunk each slice of bread in mixture and arrange in a 13 x 9, greased baking dish. Pour remaining mixture over the bread and refrigerate overnight.

I used my new Ninja food processor. I love this thing! Thanks Mom & Dad- it is a great Christmas present!
In the morning, put 1/2 cup of coconut flakes, 1/3 cup of sliced almonds, 5 Tbsp of sugar, 5 Tbsp of all purpose flour, and a pinch of salt in a food processor and process until very fine. Add 6 Tbsp of softened butter, 1 large egg and 1 egg yolk and process until it is a smooth paste.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the almond mixture over the casserole.

Top with 1/4 cup of sliced almonds and 3 Tbsp of flaked coconut (I might have used more...I like coconut!).

Bake until puffed and lightly golden and the custard topping is set. The center shouldn't shake when it is finished baking (about 45 to 50 minutes).
Cool for 1 hour and serve warm or at room temperature.



This recipe can feed a large crowd.
I made it on a weekend. The Hubs and I had a great brunch and then I cut it into squares and had a breakfast for a week!

I hope you all are having a wonderful week.

My thoughts today are on peace and resting in God's love. At the start of a New Year, things feel busy. There is an anticipation of Spring...so much to do...

Take some time today to breathe....................
Stretch...............
Close your eyes and picture your peaceful place......................
Then, bring yourself back to you, present, wherever you are, and picture God covering you, clothing you, hugging you, snuggling you with His love..................

I feel so much more at peace when I meditate on God's love for me. I find that I'm even more productive- not out of striving, but ease...

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”
- Matthew 11:28-30 The Message

"But I am like an olive tree, thriving in the house of God. I will always trust in God’s unfailing love."
- Psalms 52:8 NLT

La Bonne Vie Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment