Thursday, January 29, 2015

Sometimes I Use Bad Words in My Kitchen; Or How I Made Mussel-Chorizo Goodness...

I remember watching Gordon Ramsey almost have cardiac arrest during the dinner rush at a restaurant he was trying to help. I also remember thinking- Yikes!

Then, I started cooking.


Beautiful Mussels and Chorizo!
I found this recipe from one of my favorites- Sunny Anderson!

She always has really delicious, flavorful dishes that are simple and quick to bring together.

I cut the recipe in half, so I need 1/2 lb of Mexican Chorizo.


I browned the Chorizo in 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Once browned, I removed it from the Dutch oven.

My new Dutch oven!
I then chopped 1/2 a sweet onion and added it to the Chorizo drippings. I added a little salt and pepper and began to sweat the onions. I then added 2 cloves of minced garlic and let it cook for about 30 seconds.

I deglazed the pan with 1/2  bottle of wine!!! 

I then dumped 5 lbs of clean, rinsed, live mussels into this wonderful broth, and then poured the Chorizo over the the top. I put the lid on the Dutch oven and let it simmer and steam for 10 minutes.


So, you see this bowl of mussel-Chorizo goodness?

When I opened the lid to the Dutch oven the mussels opened and the smell of the broth was amazing. I then needed to transfer the mussel-Chorizo mixture along with the broth into my serving bowl.

I put by oven mitts on, grabbed both handles of the Dutch oven, and began to pour the contents into my serving bowl. I hear the "sssss" and "pop" of my beautiful onion, garlic, wine broth spilling over the Dutch oven and covering the stove top...and that's when I use bad words...with gusto...in my kitchen.

Yes- I hate losing that amazing, tangy sauce...but its more than that. 

Reflecting on this has made me take notice of the perfectionism that I seek in my kitchen. I hate it when I mess up. I want the perfect dish, perfectly created. I want it easy, simple, clean...It's kind of like a reflection on life.

I sometimes use those same words in other areas of my life, and if I stop and think about it...frequently, it is related to me being angry at myself for not living up to my standards.

Enter: GRACE.

Perfectly seasoned and cooked mussels...even with my spill.
Grace- getting what we don't deserve.

What if I "lighten up"? What if I give myself some grace? What if I relax into the Grace I already have in Jesus?

I might still be sad to lose some broth, but let's be honest...I ended up with way more than the Hubs and I would ever be able to eat!

The Mussels & Chorizo- perfection!

The broth spilled on the stove- came right up.

The perfectionism with the cavalcade of words that go along with it...Thank God- covered by grace.

Maybe I take a deep breath and enjoy this dish- and God's grace for me!

La Bonne Vie Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment